High at 4-5 Hours or Low at 8-10 Hours
- 1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots peeled, medium dice
- 2 medium celery stalks, medium dice
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 cup fress medium diced pineapple
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 meaty smoked ham bone or 2 ham hocks (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups(1 quart) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Evenly place split peas in the slow cooker on the bottom layer. Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, and bay leaf over the peas in one even layer. Pour the chicken broth and water into the slow cooker and add the salt and pepper. (Remove the insert from the slow cooker, cover, and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours or until ready to continue.)
Stir and then gently place the ham bone/hocks in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
Remove the ham bone/hocks onto a cutting board. Add the diced pineapple. When ham bone is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and place the meat back in the soup. (discard the skin and bones), and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.